Q&A: Section 21 Notice and ‘late’ gas safety certificates. What landlords need to know?

Failing to provide a Gas Safe Certificate before the tenant takes up occupancy, and/or not providing ongoing certificates, means a valid s21 notice cannot be served.

Q1. What are Gas Safety Records and why are they important?

As a landlord you need a Gas Safety Certificate or CP12 for every gas appliance in your rental property. It’s a legal requirement.

Q2. What happens if I don’t get a gas safety certificate?

Failing to have a gas safety certificate is likely to invalidate your insurance and it means you can’t use section 21 should you need to evict a tenant.

Q3. What happens if your gas safety certificate expires?

If your previous certificate expires, you’ll need to give your tenants a new certificate within 28 days.

Q4. How long is a gas safety certificate valid for?

You must ensure that a gas safety check is done every year on each gas appliance/flue. So make sure these checks have been done within 1 year before the start of the lease date.

For help navigating this particular compliance burden, simply book an appointment or call us on 020 3051 1393. We can advise you on site readiness, materials, and building control.

Have a burning question?​

Don’t be a stranger. Tell us how we can help and we’ll get back to you within one working day.